Learn how to print multiple files containing in a folder, ZIP or RAR archive, or a text file with a list of documents using Print Conductor.
You can load a list of files by:
- Dragging files and dropping them to Print Conductor
- Using Add Documents or Add Folder buttons
- Adding documents from ZIP, RAR, or 7ZIP archives
- Importing a list of documents from a TXT file
- Loading a list of documents from an Excel file (XLS, XLSX)
- Importing a list of documents from Print Conductor's FLIST file
- Loading files from selected folders at program start
First off, select a printer that you want to send your list of files to. Then add your files into Print Conductor using one of the methods described below. Let's get started!
Drag files and drop them to the list
Just open a folder, press Ctrl + A, drag the selected items and drop them onto Print Conductor main window:
Click Add Documents or Add Folder button
Alternatively, you can import files by clicking the Add Documents button. This button opens a window where you can browse for files. Here you can select between all supported file formats or only certain ones. Add Folder button allows importing an entire folder of files.
By the way…
You can exclude certain types of files from being added to the program's list. For example, you have BAK, EMF, WMF, CFG, and XML files in the source folder or archive, but they are not wanted in the List of Documents. To rule them out, go to the Advanced settings and find Exclude files by mask feature. Then add required file extensions you wish to exclude from processing:
You can add any file extension this way. File extensions should be added like so:
Add documents from a ZIP, RAR, or 7ZIP archive
You can also add documents from an archive without extracting them beforehand. Just drag a ZIP file (or another type of archive) and drop it onto the Print Conductor main window. All files in this archive will be automatically added to the list.
Import a list of files from a TXT file
You can also import a list if you already have file paths listed (e.g., a list of file destinations created by another software). Then import it into Print Conductor.
Did you know?
Using only Notepad, you can easily select files and create a TXT with their names and destinations. Each file path will appear on a separate line (see the screenshot below). Here's a step-by-step instruction:
- Open a folder and select all files by pressing Ctrl + A on your keyboard;
- While holding Shift, right-click the files and select Copy as path;
- Now all file paths are saved in the clipboard and can be pasted into Notepad;
- Create a new TXT file in Notepad;
- Paste the file paths into Notepad using Ctrl + V;
- Save the resultant TXT file.
If you have any difficulty creating a text file listing of the folder contents, check out our video How to get a list of files in a folder and print them.
Then you can simply import this TXT file to Print Conductor using the Import List button.
Import a list of documents from an Excel file (XLS, XLSX)
If you have Microsoft Excel installed, you can upload a list of document file paths contained within an XLS or XLSX file. You'll need a basic spreadsheet with file paths. The header of the first column should be named #file. File paths should be added to this column.
#file is a must, and it should include a full path to the file and the filename. The remaining columns are optional. You can add optional parameters for each file. To do it, add the following columns with headings:
- #copies (set the number of copies to be printed. For example 3)
- #pages (set the page range, e.g., 1,3,10-25)
- #papersize (set paper format, e.g., Letter)
- #duplex (set duplex mode: Long-edge binding, Short-edge binding, As in printer, Simplex)
- #orientation (set page orientation: Portrait, Landscape, As in document, As in printer)
- #color (set color mode: Color or Grayscale)
- #trayname (select a printer tray as described below)
To check available paper sizes and tray names for the current printer, click the Print Conductor logo and select Printer info...
Once you have added all necessary files to Print Conductor's List of Documents, you can click Start Printing.
By the way…
You can save a current list for future use by clicking the Export list button.
This way, your list of documents will be saved as a FLIST file with all the settings and file order, that you've set.
Load a list from Print Conductor's FLIST file
When you have a saved list that was previously exported from the program's interface, you can load it anytime you need to print the documents. Simply double-click the FLIST file or do it by clicking the Import button.
Now that you know how to add files and create lists for Print Conductor, you can print the same documents again without any effort. The program supports the import of these types of lists: TXT, FLIST, XLSX, and XLS files as well as ZIP, RAR, 7ZIP archives. Loading a previously saved list can be done either by clicking the Import button or by double-clicking the FLIST file or drag-dropping a FLIST file onto Print Conductor main window.
Load files from selected folders at program start
Suppose you have all the necessary files for printing located in a folder (or several folders). In that case, you can get them instantly added to the program. Print Conductor will automatically scan them and import all files into the List of Documents when the program starts.
To use this feature, find Load folders at start in the Advanced Settings and specify a path to one or more folders:
By the way...
If you have files in supported format but with a non-standard file extension, Print Conductor won't let you import these files. Still, there is a way to add and print them.
As an example, your software generates [filename].invoice files, which are structurally PDF. Print Conductor does not process files with ".invoice" extension. However, with the help of the File extension aliases tab, it is possible to import and print them – just associate your .invoice files with PDF format. Then your files will be processed the same way as PDF, which is one of the supported file types.
To process files with custom extension:
- Open the File extension aliases tab in the Settings;
- Place a cursor next to a file type you want to associate your files with;
- Enter your custom file extension;
- (optional) input several file extensions (type a new one after pressing Enter).
This way, you will be able to add your files without any extra effort. If you are not sure whether Print Conductor can or cannot process your specific files, please contact us.
Get other useful guides on using Print Conductor and see many other useful how-tos, solutions, tips & tricks on effective batch printing. You'll find out how to import & export files, manage print lists, configure document and page settings, set up service pages, and so much more.